El Consell d’Europa organitza l’intercanvi juvenil Youth Action Week, que abordarà els reptes de la democràcia actual i serà del 27 de juny al 2 de juliol a Estrasburg, França
Democracy has been particularly challenged in recent years due to the rise of populism and demotatorships, fake news, shrinking space for civil society and, more recently, the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. All of this contributes to a climate where young people fear retribution when exercising freedom of expression and, at the same time, “show a high degree of political interest but a low degree of engagement with essential democratic processes”.
Concerns regarding the health of democracies in Europe have been consistently raised, especially in view of the successive and multiple crises that trouble the perspective of growing up with confidence about the future.
The Democracy Here | Democracy Now youth campaign of the Youth Department of the Council of Europe is a response to these challenges. It aims at revitalising democracy and for strengthening mutual trust between young people and democratic institutions and processes.
The Campaign focuses on access to human rights, meaningful youth participation and the impact of digitalisation as factors of democratisation. The Campaign is based on activities undertaken with young people and youth organisations at local, national and international levels, supported by national contact points and European partners.
The Council of Europe Youth Action Week
The Youth Action Week is the flagship event of the Democracy Here | Democracy Now campaign and of the anniversary of 50 years of the youth sector in the Council of Europe. The event is organised under the patronage of the Irish Presidency of the Committee of Ministers
of the Council of Europe and in partnership with the City of Strasbourg.
The Council of Europe Youth Action Week brings together activists, civil society, member States and partners of the youth sector to strengthen the youth campaign for revitalising democracy and celebrate the 50th anniversary of the youth sector of the Council of Europe.
- To discuss and deepen the understanding of the current challenges and attacks on democracy and their impact on young people and society
- To design and plan interventions, activities, actions, projects in the youth campaign with a focus on revitalising democracy, meaningful youth participation and digitalisation
- To celebrate the fifty years of the youth sector of the Council of Europe and reflect on its relevance for young people, youth policy and the mission of the Council of Europe in promoting human rights, democracy and the rule of law
- To give an impetus for joint action and cooperation in the framework of the Democracy Here | Democracy Now campaign at local, national and international level.
Programme and methodology
The programme of the Council of Europe Youth Action Week is thought to be an experience of participatory approaches characteristic to non-formal education and youth work. The programme will feature plenary sessions and will be based on working groups organised according to the three main themes of the campaign. The Youth Action Week programme will also incorporate proposals for themes, topics and activities received from national and European campaign, partners and activists.
Participants and selection
All those interested in taking part in the Council of Europe Youth Action Week should fulfil the profile outlined below:
- Be motivated and able to take part in the full duration of the activity
- Be able to communicate independently in English or French
- Be resident in a member state of the Council of Europe or in a state with the ‘Partner for Democracy’ status granted by the Parliamentary Assembly (Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Morocco, Palestine). Applications from other countries may also be considered
If you need more information, READ THE CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS.
When: 27 June – 2 July 2022
Where: Strasbourg, France
Interested? Send an email to email@example.com now!