Vlahi Nature School is searching for a motivated person to be the next EVS volunteer supporting our environmental educational activities with children and adults, taking care for the plants and animals in our garden, building their own projects and experiencing the beautiful and rough nature of Pirin mountain.
Name of the project: „Nature School for the Youth of Kresna“
Duration of the project: 9 months
Start date: March 2018
End date: 30.11. 2018
Volunteers: 1 volunteer from Spain (the service will be done together with a volunteer from France).
The project is financed by Key Action 1 of Erasmus+ Programme.
Organizaiton and place: Nature School Foundation, Vlahi village, Kresna municipality, South west Bulgaria (www.vlahi.org) – link to map.
Vlahi village is small and abandoned village with only 7 permanent inhabitants, but with quite intensive visitors flow during summer. There are three NGOs operating there. The nearest town Kresna is 9 km far from the village. The village is at the foot of Pirin National Park (UNESCO world nature heritage object – video). The climate in the village is continental-mediterranean.
Tasks of the volunteers, related to development of new functioning elements of the perma culture concept, which will be used for demonstration among students and visitors of the Nature School:
- Development of new functioning elements of the permaculture concept, which will be used for demonstration among students and visitors of the Nature School.
- Everyday care for the domestic animals in the Nature school – hens, ducks, geese and rabbits and for the garden.
- Workshops with children/teenagers from the local school on nature protection topics.
- Development of information and educational materials for the students and visitors of Vlahi Nature School.
- Presentations in the Nature School on topics as nature protection and climate change.
- Coordination of international volunteer workcamp.
- The volunteers will support the organization and conduction of eco-working weekends with young people from the local community.
The volunteers will be encouraged to organize workshops for the students from the local school on nature protection topics.
Dora, EVS volunteer in the summer of 2013
Food: The volunteer will cook for him/herself in an equipped kitchen with the possibility to buy “real” products from local people and/or to produce them for him/herself.
Accommodation: In a shared room furnished with beds, wardrobe, desk and chairs. Showers and compost toilets are outside the building. There is one shower inside as well.
Local transport: by bike or by car.
Language support: Bulgarian language with teacher who speaks English.
Equipment (phone, internet, etc.): limited wi-fi in the house, mobile phone with voucher.
Pocket money: per month, the amount fixed for Bulgaria – 3 Euro per day received in the beginning of the month.
Insurance: The volunteer will be insured by the CIGNA insurance plan by the sending organization.
- English speaking; mountain and outdoor lover; previous experience with activities, related to nature protection; initiative and independent; ability to work in a team; with communication skills and open for learning new things.
- Students in natural sciences (biology, forestry, veterinary medicine etc.), people, who like to be outside.
- Driving license if possible.